Humanitarian relief organizations coordinate billions of dollars in relief annually to victims of natural disasters, civil conflict and war. Their chief task is the timely mobilization of financing and goods from international donors and administering relief to vulnerable beneficiaries at disaster sites across the globe. As such, logistics is central to their activities and strategic to their missions.
Advanced Certificate in Humanitarian Logistics (ACHL) was developed by experienced logisticians from the academia with close consultations and collaborations from International Non Governmental Organizations (INGOs) such as the International Rescue Committee, Save the Children, ICRC, WFP, UNHCR, and UNICEF.
The Short Course of Advanced Certificate in Humanitarian Logistics (ACHL) is a short learning program with emphasis to innovative ‘competence model’ approach. The program combines best practices in supply chain management and the humanitarian community, business industry and academia to enhance knowledge application and skills development. This well-established program has been designed to develop your humanitarian operations management skills and insight as well and equips you with the tools and techniques necessary to succeed in Humanitarian logistics management.
After completion of the course, the participants will be able to;
- Understand the fundamental issues of humanitarian logistics.
- Explain the imports/ exports and international business practice.
- Apply the principles of managing the humanitarian supply chain.
- Identify and describe humanitarian supply chain relationships.
- Identify humanitarian aid requirements and develop emergency response strategy.
- Specify supply chain configuration and develop an emergency response plan.
- Understand the humanitarian operations and development of emergency response operations.
- Describe types and mandates of organizations involved in humanitarian aid.
- Explain the operational activities of humanitarian aid organizations.
- Apply knowledge of different phases of the humanitarian response.
- Understand sources of funds and resources.
- Analyze the way supply chain has contributed to the overall relief program.
- Co-ordinate the humanitarian logistics focus with other activities and
- Manage the working environment, people and resources.
Module 2: Import/Export and International business practices
Module 3: Managing Humanitarian Supply Chains
Module 4: Warehousing and Inventory
Module 5: Procurement Management
Module 6: Transport Management
Module 7: Fleet Management
Module 8: Cash Transfer Programming (CTP)
Learners who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate from Virtual University of Uganda