Basics of Software Development and Database Analysis

80% of software projects fail due to poor software development practices. This course demonstrates why the other 20% succeed. The overall aim of this course is to teach students how to specify a project and select the best software development model to use​

Admissions are ongoing

About This Course

Software development is the process of conceiving, specifying, designing, programming, documenting, testing, and bug fixing involved in creating and maintaining applications, frameworks, or other software components. This course, discusses the engineering nature of software development with a focus on the first two phases of software development.  Phase one addresses the requirements gathering process while phase two will discuss the process of software architecture and design up to and including database analysis and design. Participants have a chance to practice these concepts through a case study where they build a website using software development principles.

What you will gain

At the end of this course, you should be able to:

  • Develop your own software development life cycle
  • Design the database architecture for a software project
  • Distinguish between the  different types of software development models
  • Explain and apply the role of modelling in software development
  • Explain key concepts in software architecture and design

What you will learn

Introduction (2 hours)
Introduction to the software development process
Software development lifecycle
Software development models

Phase 1 Requirements gathering (3 hours)
Difference between requirements and specifications
Functional vs Non-functional requirements
Case study: Gathering customer requirements for a Website

Phase 2 Software Design process (4 hours)
Software architecture and design basics
The Unified Modelling language
Database Design Architecture
Case Study: Website design

Phase 2 Database Design and Analysis (3 hours)                             

Types of databases
Relational databases
Case study: database design for the website project

Phase 2 Technical requirements Design
Defining technical requirements
Case Study: Technical requirements for the website project

Target Group

  • Entry level software developers
  • Software architects
  • Software project managers
  • Duration:

4 weeks

  • Mode of Delivery:

Online 

  • Cost:

USD 300

  • Email :
corporate@virtualuni.ac.ug
  • Phone :

+256 700 518 378

Memberships and Affiliations

1