You will be equipped with the knowledge and skills required to assume first-line supervisory and management positions. The programme will develop your capabilities to:
- apply critical thinking, multitasking, and problem-solving skills in demand by the hospitality industry
- develop analytical and collaborative problem-solving skills through authentic case studies with leading industry partners using relevant industry technology
- brush up on customer service, HR, and supervisory skills
- apply teamwork and leadership skills
- create strategies for supervising, motivating employees, and work as a team to achieve the goals and objectives of the hospitality workplace.
The business administration programme at VUU, where this specialisation is taken, is for working professionals wanting to update and consolidate the skills necessary to operate in the fast-changing business world of today. Each course within the programme builds on participants’ existing professional skills, and is an advanced study of best business practices both in the African and international contexts. The programme is taken over two years and made up of 10 courses, with each lasting eight weeks and a exam in the final week.
The demand for competent and creative business leaders and managers who will take business practice to the next level in the African context is undisputed today, given the situation and realities on the ground. Transforming existing business practices will not happen overnight but will occur when sufficient numbers of business professionals adhere to best business practices. African business practices 3.0 will not only make business practices more efficient in terms of human and financial resources, but will also have a knock-on effect in terms of the region’s social and economic development.
All courses in the programme are constructed to ensure that local realities are taken into account while at the same time looking to international best practices to bring business realities and practices in the region into line with international standards and practices.
The Hospitality and Tourism Management programme’s relevance is indisputable. While Uganda and Africa emerges as a popular tourist destination, the need for managers of the industry grows. As the programme is undertaken entirely online, it is for mid-level managers who already work in the industry or other professionals who wish to make a career change.
Advantages of the programme are:
- business executives lead busy lives and need the flexibility to study at their own pace and in their own time
- tutors are sourced globally with a mix of strong practical and academic skills so that best business practices are at the heart of it
- guest speakers engaged in the tourism and hospitality management sector will be invited to share experiences and expertise in every course offered in the programme
- the programme is entirely online so that busy professionals can access learning materials 24/7 with a mix of perspectives and exposures that are a crucial part of the student learning experience.
All courses in the programme not only focus on the new and emerging technologies available today that enhance and facilitate best business practices in this sector, but also on professionalism and ethical decision-making in order to take business practices to the next level.
The final part of the programme, the practicum allows students to test drive their new skills in the real business world. Graduates with this academic training will enjoy the benefits of greater employability in their professional career, in addition to better opportunities of professional promotion and greater sustainability of personal business ventures.
This programme is delivered fully online and uniquely designed for people working in the hospitality and tourism industry, e.g. hotels, conference centres, restaurants and other hospitality and tourism venues.
The programme is also open to recent graduates with a Bachelors degree, with the intention achieving an MBA. The programme is also suitable for those intending to pursue PhDs in future. The online mode of delivery ensures maximum convenience to the learners, avoiding wasting time and the costs of travelling to class.
To be eligible to join the programme, you should have completed a Bachelors degree with an honours class (at least 2nd Class Lower) and have relevant work experience in the hospitality and tourism industry.
You will also be required to pass our online Graduate Admission Test.
The course is also open to recent graduates with Bachelors degree intending to pursue academic careers to PhD in future.