Msc ICTs for Development
Gain excellent capabilities on the use of digital innovation technologies to provide both theoretical and practical proficiency for international and social development! 📊
About this programme
In today’s digital era, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is the key driver of almost everything. From education, to health, governance, business, tourism and all other sectors of any economy, ICT acts as a vehicle for change. We can apply ICTs in various ways to assist both governmental and non-governmental organizations to improve socio-economic conditions in developing countries.
ICT can provide a useful tool for sustainable development and an absolute need in emergency situations. However, there is a notable lack of capacity especially in developing countries to develop, maintain and use ICT resources. This could be one cause of failure of ICT projects.
Thus, the main purpose of this programme is to train innovative ICT leaders with a thorough knowledge of the theories and methods of ICT for development who will think outside of the box to maximize the use of ICTs in different contexts. This postgraduate programme encouraging our students to think outside of the traditional ICT box while embedding ICTs in the whole area of development theory and praxis to:
- understand the contextual frameworks of development in all aspects
- understand how ICTs impact on development
- to link development theory with ICT practice
- have the knowledge to engage critically with the role of ICTs in development
- be familiar with the key debates in ICT for Development
- have a thorough insight into the application of ICT in different sectors such as education, health and finance
- gain practical skills to handle ICT4D driven projects such as sound project planning and management and stakeholder analysis
- gain skills to adapt new upcoming ICT tech novations to local conditions.
What you'll learn
The programme consists of 10 courses offered on a modular basis over a 20-month period followed by six months to finalise the dissertation or research paper. Each course runs for eight weeks.
- Course 1: Critical Thinking and Decision Making
- Course 2: Introduction to ICT4D
- Course 3: Project Management
- Course 4: Hardware and Networking for Development
- Course 5: Software and Database for Development
- Course 6: New Internet-based Paradigms: Moving to the Cloud
- Course 7: Information Systems Design and Implementation
- Course 8: ICT Policy and Regulation
- Course 9: Introduction to Data Science
- Course 10: Research Methodology
- Dissertation (for MBA) or Research Paper (for PG Diploma)
- Graduates from departments that traditionally have links with development of ICT technologies.
- The programme is intended for University Degree graduates in the ICT, and others who have an equivalent degree in the area.
- Those with career trajectories in the NGO and public sectors, and in the private sector.
- Graduates of any other degree who wish to understand how to apply ICT in solving day-to-day problems such as project planning and management, stakeholder analysis, customer relationship management, communication, among others.
Meet the tutors
Current Module: Hardware and Networking for Development
This course gives a brief, non-technical introduction to some of the issues concerned with computer hardware, networking and Internet that are significant in wider discussions about ICTs.