ICT can provide a useful tool for sustainable development and an absolute need in emergency situations. However, there is a notable lack of capacity especially in developing countries to develop, maintain and utilize ICT resources. This could be one of the causes of failure of ICT projects.
Thus, the main purpose of this programme is to train innovative ICT leaders with a thorough knowledge of the theories and methods of ICT for development who will think outside of the box to maximize the use of ICTs in different contexts. This postgraduate programme encouraging our students to think outside of the traditional ICT box while embedding ICTs in the whole area of development theory and praxis to:
- understand the contextual frameworks of development in all aspects
- understand how ICTs impact on development
- be enabled to link development theory with ICT practice
- have the knowledge to engage critically with the role of ICTs in development
- be familiar with the key debates in ICT for Development
- have a thorough insight into the application of ICT in different sectors such as education, health and finance
- acquire practical skills to handle ICT4D driven projects such as sound project planning and management and stakeholder analysis
- acquire skills to adapt new upcoming ICT technovations to local conditions.
Our Information and Communication Technology (ICT) programme is for:
- graduates of ICT related courses who wish to expand their knowledge of ICT in development
- graduates of any other degree who wish to understand how to apply ICT in solving day-to-day problems such as project planning and management, stakeholder analysis, customer relationship management, communication, among others
- employees of different organizations who find it difficult to do postgraduate studies distant from their workplaces but can access internet.
To be eligible to join the programme, you should have completed a Bachelors degree with an honours class (at least 2nd Class Lower).
You will also be required to pass our online Graduate Admission Test.
The course is also open to recent graduates with Bachelors degree intending to pursue academic careers to PhD in future.